Pages

Plasticise

16 January 2010

I'm not sure if I should be proud of this ...

Various websites I visit serve up adverts for Marks & Spencer, and because I've bought things from them, the adverts feature items I've recently viewed. It's obviously a brilliant use of cookies, but you've got to wonder if it's sensible to offer me things I've already bought or decided I don't want to buy.

In my case, this meant I was seeing adverts for cheap t-shirts and jackets. (I bought the cheap t-shirts, reader, but not the jackets.) That's no longer any use to me. So, in the interest of scientific experiment, I have viewed different items, things which I have no intention of buying. And now the Marks & Spencer adverts show me women in underwear, and they are telling me "A good push-up bra is a wardrobe must-have. Mix and match with all your favourite knickers."

I feel happy that I've subverted their advertising targeting, but slightly grubby that, in doing so, I've become a 12 year old.

No comments :